Saturday, April 14, 2007

Wednesdays Storms (Chase Report)

Wednesday was a very exciting day for storms. The weather was cool but was also unstable to produce 4 tornadoes and additional reports of hail and wind damage. The storms did move more north than I earlier predicted but still never made it quite as far as Howard County.

In fact Howard County and Kokomo went unscathed from the storms. I know around a 1/2 dozen or so spotters went mobile and a couple more stayed home to provide updates of information. I did both electing to go mobile around 6:20 and initially went south. I stopped to take a nice photograph of a double rainbow just south of the Intersection of Malfalfa Rd and 100 South.



I did travel south on US 31 to the county line and then decided to head back to 26 and go west. My gut said to go south and intersect the cell which seemed strong moving northwest of Indianapolis in Boone Co but I didn't follow it. So I ended up missing the chance for a small EF2 twister in near Arcadia.

My travel out west near Russiaville did show me a good storm front moving in. The was the second of 2 cold fronts and this is looking north with the sun shining to the east. It didn't take long for this squall line to pass and by 7:30, I could see clear sky in the west so I headed home.


If you would like some additional information on the April 11 tornadoes including locations and photos, the National Weather Service in Indianapolis has it available here. A full report of activity nationwide is also here.

If you did happen to monitor the repeater (
147.240 MHZ), it was very casual in conversation since the Skywarn net for spotters was never officially activated. When we are activated, it should be much more organized.

No comments: