Saturday, October 20, 2007

Recent Severe Weather - Was there too much hype?


I have debated the past couple of days whether or not there was too much hype on the storms and was I partially responsible for some of it. The reason I asked myself that was due to Howard County being a bust for the severe weather but I provided several alerts or warnings for people to be prepared.

In the end I say no, there was not too much hype. Many people ignore the weather except for any forecasted snow causes a run on bread, milk, and eggs but that is a whole different topic for conversation.

Let's look at some of the devastation from Wednesday and Thursday and how widespread it was over many states. Tornadoes on Thursday were reported from the Florida Gulf to the top of Michigan. The real problem is uncertainty on where storms will happen. Communities like Nappanne in northern Indiana took a very hard hit. Unlike many times when storms target smaller areas, this storm set up covered a lot of territory. It meant a lot of people needed to be aware while only a small portion were actually effected.

In the end, while Howard County came out fine in these storms, it was the wise decision to keep people locally notified of the possible dangerous situation and I do not regret doing my part. I also think the time of year warranted a "heads up" since most people don't associate October with a tornado/tornado outbreak.

Things look calm for the next week or so. Some good soaking rains should start on Monday and last much of the week. I would expect 2 to 3 inches before it is all said and done.

No comments: