Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sunday Wrap Up & Our Future...

Today was a great surprise snow. Everybody had to keep raising their forecast snow amounts. It started yesterday as the Chicago area received amounts from 5 to nearly 12 inches. It has been difficult for me to have a definitive total but I think I will call it at 4 inches until I hear some additional reports into the NWS tomorrow. (It is never easy to get a measurement at my house.)

Both the short range and long range look to remain cold and volatile with snow chances coming every few days. This week will deliver some snow Wednesday into the weekend. This will likely be a long duration event with a little bit of snow coming each and every day. No real significant accumulations but a couple of inches seems probable right now. A later update will give a more accurate total.

What has my interest comes not this week but around the end of next week. I have seen several runs of the long range GFS showing a nice storm. While it hasn't shown historic snows like so many have seen, a nice 4 to 6 inch system with blowing seems to be floating around our area.

I think it is going to be interesting weather over the next two to three weeks.

No comments: