Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Flakes Are Falling...

The snow has been falling for a couple of hours and will continue to pick up overnight. The 4-5" forecast I made Monday evening still looks on target for our area.


What about school on Wednesday morning? Before I answer I should offer a full disclaimer that I work at an area school but have zero influence any decision to delay or cancel school. With that said I can say that tomorrow should see a 2 hour delay unless everything radar and weather observations along the storms path is totally bogus. (It isn't.)

However the decision to cancel school isn't a "no brainier" like someone I know was hoping for when we spoke today. The heaviest snowfall rates should be between 6-8 AM. Unfortunately the decision to cancel schools usually will be made or at least fairly well decided in the early 5 AM hour. The snow will continue to 10 AM.

Also compounding the difficult decision will be the wind and its expected increase to 15-20 with gusts to 30. So it won't be a solid snow mess at 5 AM but it should be coming and school administrators will need to roll the dice and decide if the weather coming in will really materialize or will it bust.

One additional factor in the decision making process is the worst call is a 2 hour delay which then becomes a full snow day. Parents really don't care for that decision at all.

My gut at this time is cancel but as the disclaimer said earlier, I have no more influence than the hundreds of kids hoping for a snow day.

No comments: